All That One Needs To Know About The Causes Of Gynecomastia
The human body is a blend of mysteries. Men and women both have male and female hormones in their bodies. When the balance of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone vary than the normal levels, it gives rise to imbalance. Gynecomastia or man boobs is one such condition of enlargement of breasts in males. They show their occurrence in teenagers or older men. Caused due to the uneven and irregularity of estrogen and progesterone, they can affect either one or both the breast. They are not a grave problem, but can lead to discomfort; pain and can also lead to embarrassment for a man.
Reason for the existence of the condition
There is a reason for everything. There are various causes of Gynecomastia, and several reasons can lead to it. The most common causes are the following:
- Hormonal imbalance is one of the most common causes of the condition. Estrogen is the primary hormone for breast growth. Every male body produces estrogen, but they have a higher level of testosterone that suppresses the function of estrogen. An imbalance, in the body, can, therefore, lead to the growth of breasts.
- With a change in lifestyle, obesity is one of the leading causes of the condition. With an increase in weight, the body tends to deposit fat tissues in different regions, including the breast. One can reduce it by exercising, but it may or may not b useful.
- A newborn male child is also prone to the condition because estrogen can transfer from the placenta of the mother to the child, but it disappears after some time.
- Puberty brings along with itself, a punch of change in hormones, and if the level of male hormone testosterone drops, the breast can develop to a certain degree. It often clears up as the hormones become more stable with age.
- With age, the production of testosterone reduces, and with a lower level of activity, the body also tends to accumulate fat. It leads to an increase in the level of estrogen. It further directs the development of fat tissues in the breasts.
- The condition can also rarely come up due to the side effect of a specific medicine, illegal drugs, excessive intake of alcohol, kidney or liver disorder, a genetic condition, or infection in the testicles.
It is quite obvious to get worried about the enlargement of breasts. If the causes are an imbalance, it usually goes away with balancing it out and helps in reducing the risks. With known causes of Gynecomastia, one should always take prudence while taking in drugs and alcohol. Drugs like heroin, steroids, and marijuana can pose harm, and drinking of alcohol should also be in moderation. It would help to protect oneself and avoid getting prone to the condition. Consulting a doctor and taking proper medication, when a person feels discomfort, is also a must. These conditions are treatable and get dissolved when in the early stages. Advanced understanding and taking action against the situation would help a person get better quickly and smoothly.